Over the past three years we have had the privilege of reading thousands of your stories and we have loved curating our FlashFiction101 and Chiasmus competitions, bringing creatives the opportunity to showcase their work to a wider audience. Unfortunately, we have become a victim of our own success and the time and financial pressures of maintaining these has become difficult to manage. With this in mind we are taking a break from the competitions in their current form.
We are committed to providing a platform for creatives and to that end we are in the process of developing new opportunities that we hope you will find appealing. We are developing these opportunities with the following goals.
- To provide opportunities that reward
DATES & DEADLINES
Entry Deadline: JUNE 30TH - (Winner Announced July 16th)
Prompt: "They found her! She's alive ."
Entry Deadline: JULY 31ST - (Winner Announced August 13th)
Theme: Summer Hols
Entry Deadline: AUGUST 31ST - (Winner Announced September 10th)
World War 3
Entry Deadline: SEPTEMBER 30TH - (Winner Announced October 15th)
Prompt / Genre: Your character opens their eyes and sees nothing. / Psychological Thriller
Entry Deadline: OCTOBER 31ST - (Winner announced November 12th)
Prompt: "When I snap my fingers you'll..."
Entry Deadline: NOVEMBER 30TH -
Theme: Secret Santa (An advent of stories will be published from 1st - 24th December)
Entry Deadline: DECEMBER 31ST - (Winner announced January 21st 2022)
Theme: New Year, New Me.
Entry Deadline: JANUARY 31ST - (Winner Announced February 18th)
Prompt / Genre: Flowers / Romantic Comedy
Entry Deadline: FEBRUARY 28TH - (Winner Announced March 25th)
Prompt: Your character wakes up next to a stranger.
Entry Deadline: MARCH 31ST - (Winner Announced April 15th)
Prompt: Your character sees something they weren't supposed to.
Entry Deadline: APRIL 30TH - (Winner Announced May 23rd)
Prompt: "Did you see that?"
Entry Deadline: MAY 31ST - (Winner announced June 10th)
ANNUAL COMPETITION WINNER ANNOUNCED: JUNE 30TH
The deadline for submitting entries is Midnight on each of the days listed above.
RULES & FORMATTING
Authors must be 16 years of age or over at the time of submitting their story.
Entry is open to everyone; locally, nationally and internationally, but entries must be written in English.
All entries must be the original and individual work of entrant.
Entries must not have been previously published in print or online, been broadcast or won a prize.
Entries can be and genre or theme. They must also be for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction written for children under 13 years of age is not eligible. We are hoping to bring further competitions that focus on writing for children soon.
Simultaneous submission is permitted. Should your fiction win a prize or be published elsewhere, please get in touch so that we may remove your entry.
Authors retain full worldwide copyright throughout.
Entrants may submit as many entries as they like, but may only submit each individual piece of work once in a twelve month period.
1. The exact length of the story must be 101 words, title excluded.
2. Entries should be typed in a plain legible font.
3. All entries (excluding the annual competition shortlist) will be read and judged anonymously. Please do not include your name, address, email, telephone number or any personally identifying information on any page of your uploaded file.
4. Acceptable file types are odt, doc, docx, txt and pdf.
5. The file name must be the title of your piece. If your piece does not have a title, then the file name must be the first five words of your story.
1. Submission can only be made online, using the Submissions Form below. No postal entries will be accepted.
2. No alterations or corrections may be made after you have submitted your work. You may remove your work from consideration but you will not be able to enter the same work again for a period of 12 months.
3. There is no limit to the number of entries and entrant may submit.
ENTER YOUR STORY
HELP US TO KEEP CREATING OPPORTUNITIES FOR CREATIVES
Our #FlashFiction101 competition is and always will be free to enter.
However, if you would like to make a donation to help Tortive Theatre continue to create opportunities and develop future work, we'd be extremely grateful. It's been an incredibly difficult time for all theatre companies and arts organisations, and it is with your support that we will continue to survive through and past the global pandemic crisis of 2020/21. Thank you to all those who have donated so far. Every donation really does help.